

The lion programme starts early so I was up at 5.30. This was not too much of a hardship as I had spent the night sleeping on the floor so if anything I was keen to get out.
I was driven to the game lodge which was about 10km away and was swiftly sent off to have a client walk with the lions, this meant that I would be having the full narrative of the programme and how it will help (if successful) help to restore lions to game parks around the continent that need to replenish stocks. It was great and a nice way to enter the programme.
The chief operating officer of the entire lion project had arrived earlier in the day to stay and help get the operation here up and running to capacity and a joined me for lunch which I really enjoyed as he was able to explain the entire programme, both here and in Zimbabwe. Like most things in Africa the project has had to overcome great problems to get where it is, including issues such as bribery to get the permits and the staff to man the project and although it is up and running they is much to do if it is to reach its goal.
The afternoon was the real start to my time here and we began with a trip to the cubs pen and then on to the slightly older lions (6 months) where I was taught how to approach, handle and behave when around the lions. It seemed like a lot to take in and certainly has achieved the effect of getting me out of my comfort zone. This place really is a million miles from Zanzibar and the activities much more time consuming, with the days being about 12 hours long. The day ended with a second lion walk, which was great. It is rainy season (where it rains for an hour) here so the ground is very wet and muddy and I did have the indignity of falling over and making a complete ass of myself. I made a mental note to bring a spare pair of clothes in the morning
In the evening I found an internet cafe and managed to Skype home but unfortunately the signal, not unexpectantly, was awful and I only managed a quick chat with Sally and girls before the server went down. I hope for better luck tomorrow but I am dependent on going to hot spots now which is much less convenient.
I realised when I got back to the house that i was to sort out the accommodation, unfortunately I was so tired that I just fell into bed (bottom bunk now) and would again try to deal with this in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment